Sunday, June 5, 2011

Medical Word of the Week: Omphalocele

I wanted to do keep up with my medical terminology so I will be posting interesting words that pretain to things I have seen working at my area hospital or maybe even a bit of inspiration from my favorite TV shows Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, House etc...

Omphalocele:
An omphalocele (British English: omphalocoele) is a type of abdominal wall defect in which the intestines, liver, and occasionally other organs remain outside of the abdomen in a sac because of a defect in the development of the muscles of the abdominal wall in a neonate.

This is a bizarre case that I have seen in three different situations. Firstly It showed up in Grey's Anatomy I think in the 3rd season. Also I did see a case of it in the hospital that I work at a while back and until now I did not know it was a known birth defect. Lastly I did see a case of it posted on MyPACS.net which is an online database of case studies used by Radiologist Educators and practicing Doctors alike. It's a pretty neet website wether you are interested in medical imaging or not and I encourage anyone to check it out. It is a free membership and its a good pass time.

Also just a quick mention of a new article, posted on medicalnewstoday.com about how the environment of a fetus in the womb may be related to health effects on the baby later in life. It's a good read and is something to keep in mind. I am in the process of obtaining a shadowing experience of a Radiologist at one of the leading facilities in my area so I will be sure to post about that once that has come to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment