Monday, June 6, 2011

I Support "Support"

Support....something that many of us take for granted. We look for it in just about any aspect of our lives and it's always found in the best of family and friends. For Medical students in particular this can be a huge necessity. In my search for answers about medical school I have already been fortunate enough to get support by family, friends, and above all the love of my life. I can't stress how much of an impact it has had on my decision to pursue a Medical degree. Without it I can tell you honestly I would have slipped and faltered at the very IDEA of 8 more years of school minimum. Support will not only be paramount in my premedical career but I personally know that it will be an aspect of my life that will be tried vigorously throughout the entirety of my journey. Support is both the very thing that will allow me to continue AND the very thing that I will be struggling to keep.

On the flip side I think it is a topic many prospective medical students oversee when looking into the chasm of trials ahead. They forget to realize that not only will THEY need support throughout medical school, but others in THIER lives will need support FROM YOU in their own endeavors!!! That, I think, is the flip side many will fail to realize. Support is a give and take, a shared task that is about as necessary as O2 is to our bodies. I personally will try my hardest to never let this slip my mind. Love and support others around you, show interest in the things they are striving to achieve and you will be given the same support from the right people.

Just remember that you will be a Doctor....as well as a family member, a spouse, maybe a mom or dad, an aunt, an uncle, a brother, a sister. All of these are roles that provide support when  it is needed the most. Just because you will be pursuing a goal in your own life does not mean that you can forget to live for the people around you as well. If you can keep that in mind I believe it will not only make you a better Doctor but it will let you be a better Doctor whilst not giving up on the people you love most.      

No comments:

Post a Comment